Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shows Coming Up and more!!!



So the selections of songs today are tied together by this: my friend and I have embarked on a quest to convince his partner that jazz is where it's at. Any recommendations out there for a really good introduction to jazz song or album? Write in, use the comments feature, for Christ's sake, let me know if you're out there if you are out there. God, this is pitiful. I will go geek out with my mp3's now. Bye.


Also check out the local Portland, ME shows coming up...

The LadyBug Transistor@Space Gallery July 18th

Bon Iver@Space Gallery July 25th (Definitely Going to this!)

Corey Harris@St. Lawrence Community Theater July 25th (We so rarely get outsiders who rock here and now there are 2 in one night! Luckily I've seen Mr. Harris before)


Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader


Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Hot Sevens - Beau Koo Jack


Charlie Parker - Blue n' Boogie


Thelonious Monk - Everything Happens To Me

Peace

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about these...
Manteca - Dizzy
Blue Train - 'Trane
Better Get It In Yo Soul - Mingus
Expoobident - Lee Morgan
Or MMW's take on Chinoiserie...

That's all stuff I found great when I was first getting into Jazz, and I still like 'em all.
-Tom

Anonymous said...

hey alberto -who's bon iver? i'd love to see corey harris again, used to get to see him in cville, we have a blues club in tally i'm hoping he'll come to some time! -- uma

Anonymous said...

You've got to bridge the gap a little. Try something that's readily accessible like:

Charlie Hunter Qrt. - Natty Dread
DJ Greyboy - Freestylin'
James Brown - Jazz
Jimmy Smith
Herbie Hancock
Soulive
The Quantic Soul Orchestra
James Taylor Quartet
Roy Hargrove - RH Factor

...easier to move from there.

Arespu?

El Manicero said...

Great suggestions. I think that said friend reads the blog so keep them coming. Thanks for writing in. Uma, I think you would love Bon Iver. I will send you a song.

vem said...

As someone who had to warm up to jazz, (i always loved big band, and harry) I found that once I started learning the stories behind the musicians, in particular their musical brilliance despite struggles with race and poverty, I was drawn in on a deeper level. So, my recommendation is to start with the Ken Burns Jazz documentary.

Anonymous said...

El Man. You must swing by you aint no picasso for highlights of !!! and Clipse. I know how much you love that izzle.

I want you to think about a Montreal trip to catch Black Keys.

HitTail

HitTail.com