Sunday, January 13, 2008

This is what music is about!

Ahh. I love music. And some of the best musical moments are when you are walking down the street and you stumble upon music sailing along and entering your ears. You either go yikes and walk in the other direction or, like a bloodhound catching the scent, you hone in and there you are. People playing really for the love of music, often to get better or maybe they have a hat out and they are trying to earn some dough. Either way, it is far removed from the path a musician may get into once they get in a studio, record, maybe sign onto a label and maybe end up being the new hype of the moment. I remember once finding an old raggedy, old-timey jazz group where the leader of the group was playing a bass made out of an old metal wash-basin, a broom-stick and a thick rope. There was also a guy playing an old, beat up trumpet and the singer, man, the singer was a woman who was hypnotic. When I caught that musical scent it was the first thing I heard. Her voice, it sounded so much like Billie Holiday- sad and happy - kind of thin but their was some kind of magic. It was at The Cube in NYC. It was a magical moment that brought tears to my eyes and I don't really know why except it just moved me. Anyway, here is the video that inspired this drivel, a band apparently called The Wrong Trousers singing "Video Killed The Radio Star". (Not quite as moving as the one in my story but still brought a smile to my face):

Found on www.collegehumor.com Stumbling the Internet:





Peace

1 comment:

Laura said...

Nice site! I just heard the 'wrong trousers' on a local SD station last night and was a bit captivated. They have some nice original stuff too.

HitTail

HitTail.com